Like humans, a cat’s behaviour and character are shaped partly by its experiences as a kitten. These experiences create your cat’s personality and most adult cats appear confident enough to face most situations. If your cat hasn’t been exposed to a full range of experiences (from unfamiliar sounds to a wide range of people), the likelihood of it being scared of these experiences will increase.
Five ways to help a shy cat adjust to a new home:
- Give them places to hide. A cardboard box is ideal!
- Keep to a routine. Aim to feed and interact with them at the same time each day
- Get to know their body language. Do they seem stressed or anxious?
- Be calm and gentle around them – and teach young children to do the same
- Be patient. Take the time to earn your cat’s trust.